Thursday, August 6, 2009

Biker Rage...

Today as I was walking to work, I stopped at an intersection to wait for the light to change. Everything seemed just like an ordinary day until the light changed. An old man proceeded into the intersection, walking towards me, and glancing toward the one-way directional traffic to make sure all cars had stopped so he could safely get across the street. I'm sure it seemed to be a normal day for him too, having walked the same intersection a thousand times before; however, much to his surprise, today was going to be different.

From the opposite direction, a 30-something white male on a bicycle was wizzing, the wrong way, down the one way street. Not paying attention, and not even slowing approaching the intersection, the biker barrelled into the old man, sending him flying to the pavement. The old man was hurled to the side, his head bouncing on the concrete, and he lay there trying to compose himself and get over the shock of what just happened.

I was mortified - I couldn't believe what I had just witnessed, and to make matters worse, the people around him who had just seen the same thing I did, were just standing there, not saying anything, and not getting involved. I ran across the street, I asked the man if he was ok and if I could call anyone for him - an ambulance, the police - he refused. I asked him if he was sure, he said yes, and I continued on my way. I walked into work shaken and angry. How many times have I witnessed bikers not abiding by regular laws of traffic? What makes them think that they are immune to stopping at a red light, taking precautions, using hand signals when turning? Does getting that to-go order for lunch, or messengering that important package take precedence over them having the ability to follow normal traffic guidelines? That poor old man doesn't think so. And when I think about it, since I moved here to Manhattan, I don't think I have seen a single bike rider pay heed to a single red light, or show common courtesy of right of way to pedestrians or motor vehicles alike, and I just have to say, that I hate them all! I want to kill them. I don't think they should be able to wiz through this city terrorizing those of us who do follow simple laws of traffic safety. It's just not right. So until the day comes these bikers are forced to abide by the regular laws of traffic that the rest of us follow, or until they are outlawed to traversing our city streets, I intend to shout vulgarities at any biker I see that doesn't follow directions. Something like, "Way to NOT stop at that RED LIGHT, A-HOLE!" Either that, or just flip them them off on the street - I haven't decided yet - I guess it will later be determined by my mood, the situation, or how many things I am carrying in my hands at the time of each incidence. Until then, I guess I'll just have to pray for the safety of all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment