Monday, August 23, 2010

To Mosque, Or Not To Mosque...

Every American, and especially every New Yorker, remembers that fateful day and the events that happened on September 11, 2001.  Our world as we know it changed that day, as 3,000 lives were lost and the World Trade Center Towers came crashing down.  Now, nearly ten years later, we are still debating how to rebuild this sacred ground.  How do we best honor those that died?  How do we create a memorial for those who lost loved ones that day to have a place to come for remembrance?  Numerous plans were submitted, a building proposal was selected, and we still discuss if these plans will be executed in a way pleasing enough to honor those lost lives.  It is continuously scrutinized.  Our city, the neighborhoods surrounding the site, and the countless emergency rescue workers suffering breathing and health issues, still not being adequately addressed and not being taken care of for their service, have been greatly affected.

Most recently, this debate has shifted to plans submitted to the city by a group of Muslims who would like to build a mosque and cultural center near Ground Zero.  Here is a map where the desired mosque is to be built:
As you can imagine, this has created a media frenzy and upset countless people on both sides of this issue.  Supporters on both sides have very strong arguments, and although I can see the opposing viewpoints, after weighing both sides of this issue, I would have to agree with the 68% of the people that do not want this mosque to be built at this location.  Let me tell you why.

The number one argument from people who want to build the mosque is Freedom Of Religion.  They say that denying them the right to build is a violation of their First Amendment Rights.  In fact, in years past, many religions were denied the right to practice their faith.  Jews, Quakers, and Catholics were turned down in the past to build places of worship here in the city to practice their faith.  New York has an incredible history, and was founded, and is still made up of thousands of immigrants.  Our city reflects our world.  And because we are made up of so many ethnicities, and just walking down the street we are exposed to multiple languages and viewpoints, we are more tolerant of many world and personal issues.  I believe this is why our city is predominantly more liberal in its' belief systems as we accept a wider range of thought processes and ways of life.  I like this.  Do I believe in Freedom Of Religion?  Yes!  Please, practice whichever faith you choose, as much as you choose.  Our freedoms are what make America great, and Freedom Of Religion is what this country was founded on as our ancestors came here to break away from Protestant Rule.  Mayor Bloomberg recently made a speech of his support of building the mosque.  http://www.aish.com/ci/s/100865704.html

President Obama also gave his support for the mosque, and was highly scrutinized.  Republicans opposing the mosque had a field day with this, of course.  But WHAT ELSE could our President possibly say?  He's the President - he must uphold our Constitutional and First Amendment Rights.  There is no other option.  Plus, he's a minority, so he knows what it is like to be a victim of prejudice and hatred.  It is perfectly legal for these Muslims to build this mosque.  As long as the rules are followed and everything is "by the book," the building of this mosque will happen.  There was nothing else he could have said.   http://blogcritics.org/politics/article/the-muslims-are-building-a-mosque/

I watch NY1.  NY1 is a cable television channel that keeps me up to date with things that happen in my city, and they recently went around interviewing people about this issue.  One woman in particular, who was Muslim, stood out in my mind.  She spoke of her Muslim son, who on 9/11, rushed in to save as many lives as he could, not caring about their belief systems as a rescue worker, but about their humanity and their need for help in a desperate situation.  She said he would have loved a place to pray, and shouldn't we stop hating others and allow the mosque to be built to begin a time of peace and show tolerance?  My heart went out to this woman and her son, who lost his life that day.

The mosque, if built, is planned to be called The Great Mosque of Cordoba.  Cordoba is a Spanish City where Muslims, Christians, and Jews lived in peace.  People argue, why not make this new development a worship center for many types of faiths, to further symbolize this bond?  The funding of the new mosque will cost $100 million and the opposition really wants to know where this money is coming from.  If people can prove that the money is coming from people with extremist ties, of course they will try to sabotage these plans.  So, where is this money coming from?  Somehow, I have the feeling that with that much money, it can't be coming from some place completely good.  In addition, many construction workers have refused to work on the mosque if it is built.  So, why oppose this?

I was raised Catholic.  In high school, I joined a group called Young Life that allows students who believe in God to hold positive get-togethers without the bad influences of peer pressure.  My best friend at the time, Patti, drove me home one night and we got into a conversation about our religious beliefs.  Being Catholic, I was baptized shortly after I was born.  Being a Born-Again Christian, Patti was baptized after she, as an adolescent, made the conscious decision to accept God into her life.  She asked me if I was planning on getting baptized again (cause obviously, my baptism didn't count), and I had said no, as in my religion there was no need.  She said if I felt that way, that she could no longer be my friend, and from that day on chose not to speak to me.  I was, needless to say, very upset by this.  My younger sister was good friends with a young Mormon girl. Being from Colorado, with Utah as our next door neighbor, this is no surprise.  One day her friend brought her a present - a Book Of Mormon, with every passage condemning Catholicism highlighted in fluorescent pen.  In the 80's, there was Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker, who obtained the rights to use PTL (Praise The Lord) for their television evangelist theme park and television network organization.  Proceeds from the "offering plate" were said to exceed $1 million a week.  Bakker kept $3.4 million in bonus monies for himself (that which was recorded anyway) and paid Jessica Hahn $279,000 after she alleged that he had raped her.  After Jim Bakker was charged for mail fraud, wire fraud and conspiracy, he went off to prison and Jerry Falwell took his place.  In the early 90's, we had the Waco Siege, where David Koresh and his Branch Davidians were participating in sexual misconduct with under aged girls and stockpiling illegal weapons. Seventy-six people died in a fire at the compound.  There are crazy freaks associated with every religion.

Am I still Catholic?  No.  I had premarital sex years ago, and have been on birth control pills ever since.  I somehow think they would frown upon that.  I haven't been to church since...probably high school when I went to my Goddaughter's baptism.  Do I believe in God?  Yes.  Am I religious?  No.  Am I spiritual?  Yes.  Do I say a prayer every now and again?  Of course.  But I do not believe in organized religion, and I cannot stand it when people try to "convert" me.  It is one of my biggest pet peeves.  Religion is something so ingrained in us, from the time we are born, and it is a belief driven by fear.  Fear of the unknown of what happens when we die.  Fear of going to hell.  Fear of being tortured for all eternity.  I do not believe in a God that is vengeful, I believe in a God that is full of love.  I believe in being the best person I can be.  I believe in being kind towards others.  I believe in right and wrong.  I believe that people ruin religion.  Man, with his hatred, will mold these pure and loving ideas of goodness into reasons to judge other peoples' differences or life experiences.  Church is way to brainwash the flock into a common belief that tells them it is OK to judge others who believe differently than they do, and hate certain groups of people in the "Name of God."  More wars have been fought and more people killed in the Name of God, that it causes me to think that I want nothing to do that type of faith.  And the "Born-Agains" are some of the craziest of the bunch...and they are all Republicans...which is enough to turn me off to anything Jesus-y OR Republican.

Here's another thing - many Americans are stupid.  I let out a pathetic laugh while watching the first episode of The Big C on Showtime.  Laura Linney, who has just found out she has terminal cancer, plays a teacher who is completely over her job after learning of her new circumstances.  To teach the class a history lesson, she tells them that today, they will be watching The Patriot, which is about 20% accurate in its depiction of history and the American Revolution, but if they watch and understand it, they will know more about that period of American History than the majority of Americans do today.  How pathetic.  Our school systems are crumbling, but we refuse to fund them.  We care more about materialistic objects and fame and stupid reality shows where people act like complete morons, while sitting on our fat behinds in front of the TV, or lazily playing video games shooting people, and we're more interested in what drug Lindsay Lohan is doing this week, than actually using our brain for the power of good.  Our politicians spend so much time fighting over meaningless drivel, rather than actually getting things done, while China is quickly surpassing us as the next superpower.  We are such whiny babies, that everything has to be PC.  Everyone is overly sensitive about everything.  We have to be politically correct.  Wouldn't want to tick anyone off.  We make up "diseases" so we don't have to take responsibility for our own actions, and medicate with prescription drugs.  It is this naivety and wussiness that will ultimately lead to our downfall and force us into being the laughingstock of every Muslim extremist organization around the globe.

Do I know a lot about being a Muslim?  No.  And in all fairness, the things I do know about being Muslim are seemingly negative.  So we need to educate ourselves about what this belief system is and what it stands for.  One thing I do know is that I do not like the way they devalue women.  I don't like that muslim women are taught to be submissive, I don't like that they must completely cover themselves with clothing, and are treated like personal property whose sole purpose is to bear children.  I hear stories of men throwing acid on women's faces as punishment in Afghanistan and Pakistan - it is called vitriolage.  The men are not punished for this offense because the juries find that these women have brought this punishment upon themselves by wearing too revealing of clothing or from being disobedient.  Then, I heard another thing.  That Islam wants dominance over all other religions, and that the building of mosques symbolizes muslim triumphs.  http://www.hudson-ny.org/1200/mosque-at-ground-zero-equals-victory

I have read many blogs and articles on this subject and am still gathering information.  I read one blog, by a Muslim woman here, that accused the opposition of being prejudice.  She argued that there was already a mosque in existence within walking distance of the proposed site.  My argument is, if there is already a mosque in that location, why the need for another so close by?  If the argument is Freedom of Religion and the right to worship, there is already a place for them to worship there.  I was a real estate agent for the past six years, I know there are many different locations where this can be built, and if they need additional mosques for worship, why not build in another location where there is a greater need?  In fact, I have heard that other sites were offered to them to build on, but have been refused, saying the mosque must be built there.  If it is not true that mosques are erected as a symbol of victory over the infidel, I would think that if this sanctuary was truly being built by good Muslims, that they would take into account the sensitivity of this situation, and be more understanding as to consider alternate locations.  Please, build your mosque, just build it in a different area.   http://polipundit.com/?p=25538

My opposing viewpoint of building this mosque has to do with SYMBOLISM.  Building a mosque near the World Trade Center site will symbolize another victory for Muslim extremists everywhere, showing them that their behavior and the events that day have somehow been rewarded and that Allah has granted them another victory.  They will be dancing in the streets.  We are at war.  Our naivety and tolerance will only add fuel to their fire.  I feel it is insensitive to those families who had loved ones die, and is inappropriate.  I will continue to gather information.  Maybe my opinion will change.  Maybe I will meet a new and amazing Muslim friend who can educate me on the goodness of the religion.  Who knows what incorrect reports are being pumped out by our disappointing media, and political agendas.  But for now, in my gut, my decision is not affected by my personal feelings towards the practice of religion, but rather moved by my emotional response to what happened on that day, and makes me think this is wrong.  Trust me, I never thought I'd agree with a Republican...I guess there is a first time for everything.  More than likely, the mosque will be built, and I hope that we are incorrect in thinking that it will be infiltrated by any sort of extremist organization.  

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Kath, you tackle some big ideas in this post. I'm impressed how much research you are doing to sort out how you feel personally about it. It is a tough, tough issue.

    I took a World Religions class in college. There are many beautiful things about the Islamic faith. The issue of how women are treated, I believe, varies country to country--just as Christianity does. I mean, after all, both St. Paul and St. Augustine were pretty damn misogynistic. Don't forget, a woman is responsible for original sin--and all that crap. Plus, remember Iran before the coup? Even Iraq before Saddam? Many women were doctors, lawyers, free to pursue education and a lifestyle afforded to many Western women (but certainly not all). Not all Muslim women wear burkas. Some veils are extremely glamorous, sequinny, jeweled, and transparent.

    I co-taught an environmental ethics class when I was in grad school. We wound up on the topic of over population and responsibilities to future generations, which lead the class into cultural debates and Islam got singled out somehow. There was one young woman in our class of 65, only 18 or 19, who finally stood up and put all the American girls in their respective place once she could no longer tolerate the verbal beating her religion was taking in an ethics class. I'll never forget her poise, her clarity, and her devotion. She said she found Islamic women to be more free than American ones. Islamic women can look and act however they want because it is private. They don't feel badly about themselves, or starve themselves, or take drugs or, or, they're just themselves. And here that young lady was, standing up in a crowd and proudly defending her faith and culture. And doing it well. So, someone raised her right!

    That young woman reinforced my own belief system and I was glad she was in my class. I myself don't have a problem with Islam. I'm holistic and believe all the religions sort of chase each other around in a circle. We all (minus our extremists) get to the same point of love and peace and hope. Your point about each having its freaks is spot on.

    All that said (intake of deep breath)...they shouldn't build the mosque. Your point about symbolism is also right on. I'm in PR and firmly believe appearance is what makes the world go 'round. Americans aren't the only ones who are shallow and believe what they see or hear (versus actually doing research and learning something for once), regardless of who is posting it or saying it. The more sensational, the more willing they are to accept it. Stupid, yes, but sadly true. As humans, we tend to take the easy way out: the less we think the better. And that just opens the doors for extremism of all kinds.

    So, don't build the mosque. It really does send the wrong message. A world religious center is a much better idea. A fabulous idea. No one faith should be enshrined near that sacred ground. But one place for all faiths would be a welcome change--and a true symbol of what religious freedom really means: that when things get bad, we all pray side by side.

    Best,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kathy,

    Thanks for the article and the research you did for it, but I have to strongly disagree with you on this (not that it's really worth that much). I hold this position for several reasons.

    First, we must honor the 1st Amendment of the Constitution and freedom of religion as much as the conservatives hold fast to the 2nd Amendment. You might not like a certain religion but that's one reason why it was included in the Constitution, to protect the minority.

    Second, there has been an established Mosque downtown by Ground Zero for several decades, the Warren Street Mosque. The whole reason this is coming up now is because they just recently lost their lease (as a real estate person I'm sure you are familiar with this situation). For decades this Mosque served as a place for prayer to people who worked downtown and in City Hall. After they lost their lease they partnered with Imam Feisal Abdul-Rauf, who has a Mosque in Tribeca, Together they decided to build a community center that is dedicated to pluralism, service, arts and culture, education and empowerment, appreciation for our city, and a deep respect for our planet. In fact, the Community Center planners are working on having an interfaith advisory group to help shape the work in the building.

    Third and finally, there seems to be this attitude in America that if something doesn't fit into the mainstream or we don't understand it, then we are scared of it and have to be careful of it. Not a lot of mainstream Americans understand Islam and all they see and hear about are the muslim extremists in the middle east that make up the Taliban, Al-Qaeda, etc. A good example of this is in Oklahoma City. I didn't see a bunch of people protesting Churches by the OKC Bombing Site even though Timothy McVeigh claimed to be a Christian. They knew his Christianity was a bastardization of what Christ represented. But, they knew Christianity so they were able to make that distinction. The same cannot be said with Islam. Therefore, it is vital that Americans are able to see another side of Islam, the beautiful religion it is and the beautiful people that follow it. Imam Feisal Abdul-Rauf should be lauded for his work. The mainstream media is predominantly at fault for this. They are not giving the whole story to public. They just want to gin up emotions so they get better ratings. It's the problem with the MSM as an entity nowadays. A good example is the location. When I first heard about it I got the impression that it was directly across the street from the WTC and overlooked it. When in actuality, it is one block away from the actual site.

    Here are some links for you to do some more research you might not have seen, if you are interested:

    Dr. Sarah Sayeed - This is an interview my organization did with Dr. Sayeed. She works at the Interfaith Center of NY and is someone I work with consistently.

    http://nyfaithjustice.blogspot.com/2010/08/betray-ageweek-6.html

    The Park 51 website: http://www.park51.org/vision.htm

    A brief bit on Imam Feisal Abdul-Rauf:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-tv/sam-stein-discusses-groun_b_685955.html

    Just thought I would chime in with my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen ~

    Thank you so much for your well written viewpoint and further information. Like I said, I do see the sides to each point of the discussion, but have made my opinion based on the information I have heard from the media and various sources that I have read on the internet. This is why it is important to gather as much information as we can, and I appreciate you sharing this with me and our fellow readers. I hope you got from my blog that I have no problem and completely agree with upholding our First Amendment Rights, that was not the issue for me. I was not aware that the original mosque site had lost it's lease. That is interesting information I had not heard before from the media. And on your third point, I agree. The last administration especially made us fearful of all things surrounding the faith of Islam, one of their selling points for the War On Terror - the very name of which is meant to scare you. There are some wonderful people associated with every faith as well. I just wish that when it came to religion, we would all focus on the wonderful, and the shared nature of believing in a Higher Power, as something that brings us all together, rather than driving us apart.

    Mahatma Ghandi said, "Religions are different roads converging upon the same point. What does it matter that we take different roads, so long as we reach the same goal?"

    I believe so strongly with this statement. I wish all religions would focus on peace and love, rather than differences and judgement. If this were the case, maybe I would be a more religious person. Thanks again for your input!

    ReplyDelete